As per Westbury Memorial Public Library’s mission statement, the Library supports the educational needs of the community. As part of this educational purpose, the Library permits tutoring on the premises in accordance with this policy. The Westbury Memorial Public Library encourages visits to the library by local daycares, schools, and other groups.
- Tutors are individuals who provide instruction to others either on a paid or volunteer basis. Tutors shall work with a maximum of 2 students per tutor per session, unless they are using the small meeting room.
- Groups (6 or more persons) must make an appointment with a Librarian at least a week in advance.
- Due to its large service population, the Library cannot accommodate groups (6 or more persons) on a regularly-scheduled basis.
- Westbury/Carle Place residents must make up at least 50% of the attending group.
- Groups (6 or more persons) must stay only the allotted length of time scheduled up to one hour.
- The Library does not sponsor, recommend, or assume liability or responsibility for the work and/or activities of tutors who use available library space. All arrangements must be made between the tutor, student and parents.
- All tables and chairs located in the library will be available for use by groups/tutors on a first-come, first-served basis during Library operating hours. Tables and chairs may not be available if being used by others or are needed for library programs or activities. Tables and chairs may not be reserved in advance.
- The Library reserves the right to limit group/tutoring sessions if space resources are monopolized or activities interfere with Library operations.
- Groups, tutors and their students are required to follow the Library’s Code of Conduct.
- The Library reserves the right to ask groups that are too large and/or disruptive to leave the Library.
- Groups must be well-supervised. Teachers or adult supervisors and caregivers must remain with the group at all times.
- Tutors and students must bring their own supplies, such as paper, pens, pencils, etc.
- Group/Tutoring sessions must end 15 minutes prior to closing.
- The exchange of money will not be permitted in the Library.
- Tutors may not advertise their business in the Library. Tutors may not use the Library’s name in promotional material.
- Publicized Library-sponsored programs and activities are open to individuals and families. Groups (6 or more persons) cannot be accommodated.
- The Library is not to be used as a classroom, but as a safe workspace for students, children and families.
- For instructional programs and groups (6 or more persons) that require a meeting space please refer to the Library’s Meeting Room Policy.